TPRS + Realidades

Realidades-1-Boyles-Peggy-Palo-9780133691726It sounds like there are a lot of teachers out there that use Realidades and are looking for ways to incorporate TPRS and CI into it, beyond what the TPRS supplement suggests. I typed up this document for one such teacher, and I am sharing it here for anyone else who finds him or herself in the same situation. If you are a Realidades teacher, please visit the link below to the editable document and add in activities that YOU use in each chapter!

The most important thing to remember, IMHO, is that you don’t need a fancy story or a clever activity to teach something with comprehensible input. CI is the most natural way to use language, because all you have to do is lead a conversation with your students that involves the words or grammatical structures that you are trying to teach. Get lots of repetitions, and your students will acquire the language!!

Read about my ideas for using TPRS/CI with Realidades here.

72 thoughts on “TPRS + Realidades

1. holly says:

I have stories that work with the chapters in Realidades. A lot of them are in the “draft” stage (but many are complete) so, if you can stand my errors (and are willing to fix them, I hope), I welcome anyone to email me. I would be happy to send you what I have. Maybe you have a cool story/activity/idea for me? holly@tustinpix.com

2. Crystal Barragán says:

I’ve gotten a few e-mails on this as well, and you’ve knocked it out of the park for sure! I’ve been so caught up as a “TPRS convert” recently that I’ve had difficult articulating exactly what I would do.

I’d also add that, for those interested, readers by Mira Canion (especially “Tumba”) feature MANY vocabulary words from Realidades (level 1). They’re also short in length — perfect for SSR or sub days.

• Crystal Barragán says:

None anymore. I got caught up with the storytelling and novels last year (prior to really letting any of my colleagues or admin know — oops), and though I meant to tie Realidades back in somehow, it just never happened. Luckily my department is on board with retiring Realidades (though we haven’t officially brought it to our admin yet — oops again).

• miracanion says:

Sample activities–
      Compare School system (Realidades 2A) and Tumba novel- Two shifts (turnos), compare the times and the concept of two schools within a school building
-School uniforms, Patio and recreos

Simple activities (aligned with Realidades 1A/1B):

1. Venn diagram for Alex, David and you- Place sentences that describe each of the two characters and compare them to you. “Me gusta la clase de inglés. A Alex le gusta la clase de arte.”

2. Make a chart and compare yourself with one other character.

3. Figure out which classmate is most like Alex or David. Report out to the class.

4. Write a short description about yourself. Teacher reads a couple of the descriptions as the class tries to silently guess which student is being described.

3. Matty Barth says:

Thank you so much for this it will be so helpful as I plan my first year of teaching Spanish using Realidades. I have been looking at how to incorporate Tprs. this will be great and I will pass it on to my colleagues.

4. nancy wallace says:

Martina;
    Even on maternity leave you are the bomb!! Love these plans!!! There are two of us in our department and while I left Realidades last year for TPRS, the other teacher still uses it and I know somewhere along the way I am going to have problems with the vocabulary I teach not the same as hers. This will help me out tremendously.

Thanks again,

Nancy

5. Amanda Mora says:

I am so glad I found this because we use Realidades at my school although I haven’t done much with the book itself. I try to focus on important structures with my classes, but this next year I am teaching a Spanish to Spanish speakers course with Realidades and my question is, how do go about using scripts and important structures if the students have a pretty good grasp on the material that would normally be difficult for non-Spanish speakers? Hopefully that makes sense…..

6. Megan says:

You cannot imagine how much I wish there was a version of this for the French text, “Bien Dit”! I am brand-new to TPRS and really struggling with how to incorporate these awesome techniques into a textbook-based curriculum that my district says I HAVE to teach.

I’ve been adapting some of the ideas the best I can – thank you for this blog! It is so helpful, even though I’m not a Spanish teacher.

• Johanna says:

Bonjour Megan!

I am making Bien Dit materials in TPRS form right now! I know that you wrote this 3 years ago, but if you are still in need of materials, I’m using that curriculum to tutor several students. Let’s talk!

~Johanna
      joie6088@icloud.com

7. Becky says:

I would love TPRS stories that work with Realidades. Beginning to use this series this year! Thank you!

8. Anne Beckett says:

I love what you have for Spanish 1. Anything with the level 2 book? Thanks for sharing all your creativity!!

9. Jess says:

Would love copies of TPRS stories that go with the Realidades Level 1 and 2 textbooks for all units. Thank you so much for this. I’ve been doing pieces of Spanish commercials and music and the students absolutely love it and I love it too since they are exposed to authentic materials and vocabulary in the target language.

10. Sylvia Kennedy says:

I know I am late to this party but would love a copy of these TPRS stories ( I teach Realidades 1 and 2). I just started teaching and having been using the book as a guide along with other things I am supplementing, but definitely don’t see that being long term for me. I purchased a couple teacher packs of books from TPRS Publishing and definitely want to get some full class sets to incorporate next year but would love some resources to work with before then. Thanks so much! sylpkennedy@gmail.com

• Dane Redmond says:

Hi! I just found this website and I would be VERY appreciative to have copies of the TPRS stories. I am in my second year of teaching and really would like to get TPRS integrated into my regular instruction! Thank you so much!!!! danearedmond@gmail.com

11. Jessica says:

Hi! I too am a tprs convert and am tryouts no to convert my district to ci strategies. We currently use realidades and I dont see that changing anytime soon. If it’s possible I too would greatly appreciate the stories to get my tprs juices flowing for subsequent chapters. As I learn more too I would love to share! Thanking you in advance! Jessica.kunkel@badger.k12.wi.us

12. Ana says:

Hi, I’m trying to get familiar w/ the TPR stories. I need for Realidades 2. I took over for a teacher who doesn’t know our PH account info so I can’t access it their website. My email is alinares604@yahoo.com

Gracias.

13. vanessa says:

Hello, I’d like to get into the TPRS with my students as well. I am a second year teacher this year and would really appreciate any resources you could share!! I am about to review all the sources you have in your website, seems very helpful!! My email is vcontreras@judsonisd.org

Thanks so much!

14. Deborah Lockard says:

I would love a copy of your stories! I am starting next week- and just hired into school district (ayudame!)… Realidades 2 for the first time!

15. Maria Kelly says:

Hola 🙂 If it’s not too late, I would love a copy of the TPRS stories. I use Realidades 1 and I am trying to convert to using more TPRS. Muchas gracias.

16. Angie says:

Would love a copy of anything you are willing to share. I feel as if I’m on my own island at times in my area. It’s great to find other, like-minded teachers!

17. Irene says:

I am looking for ways to use the vocabulary/grammar structures from the Realidades textbook 1 into a CI based approach. My colleagues are not into TPRS yet but I would love to give it a try using stories that align with the book. I would like a copy of what you have. Thank you so much!

isalazar@ecasd.us

18. LISA PASTERNAK says:

Are you still sending copies? I’d love anything you could send my way. I’m finishing my 2nd year with middle school and really want to try TPRS, but we also use Realidades. Thank you! lpasternak@candorcs.org